Search This Blog

Monday, 4 April 2011

EVALUATION : Looking Back at You Preliminary Task, What do You Feel You Learned In The Progression From It To The Full Product? (Question 8)

I believe that I have learnt allot from back when I made the preliminary task film, by ways of better editing skills sound skills and also live type skills. 

video video

Above are my Preliminary Task Film and also my Final Thriller Opening and i believe that after watching both of them we can see how much i have improved in almost every aspect of the Media involved.

Taking Effective Shots:

One thing that i learned from the progression from preliminary to the final film is that how much of the screen is used and not used is a very important element in good story telling. Now that i have completed my Thriller opening i can look back in hindsight and see what could have been done better. 

In the preliminary film some of the shots had our main character shown in a very small part of the screen meaning that 60 to 70% has been wasted. In our Final Thriller film i think what we consciously aimed to fill up the screen as much as possible with things that where relevant to the story and this helped added a certain cinematic tone to tour final work.  
Final Film : used majority of the screen

Preliminary:  large parts of screen left empty

Learning that the Mise en scene can make or break a film:

Mise en Scene is a pivotal part in making a good film, regardless of genre but especially in the thriller genre. The Mise en scene in our Preliminary wasn't entirely great or even helpful, as you can see from the picture below, to what we were trying to achieve and this is something i have taken on board when it came to our final Thriller.    

In the Final Thriller film we used Mise en scene extremely effectively to set the scenes, the surroundings; everything that was on the screen was there for a specific reason. One example of this, is our use of the ' Toy Duck'. We used the duck to add a contrast with the evil nature that is the backbone of this opening. 

In the Final Thriller film we used Mise en scene extremely effectively to set the scenes, the surroundings; everything that was on the screen was there for a specific reason. One example of this, is our use of the ' Toy Duck'. We used the duck to add a contrast with the evil nature that is the backbone of this opening. Also everything from the clothing to the 
Final Film: Mise en scene, shows the setting cleary

Preliminary : Printer and Mac can be scene, shows college
Improved Editing:

In the Preliminary the editing was simple to say the least, simple shots where used such as mid shots and close ups, along with this we did not use transitions but rather simple cuts to the next shot.

I believe that for our Final Thriller film the editing improved vastly,  and this improved the flow of the scenes from shot to shot. We also used an array of different shots such as extreme close ups to mid shots, something that wasn't evident in our Preliminary film.  

an example of extreme close up from our film

Sound: 

The sound was never my best skill but i feel that i have improved slightly from the Preliminary. The fact is that we did not even use sound in our Preliminary as we struggled with the Soundtrack Pro, we couldn't manage to get the music on time with the events of the film, and this frustratingly meant we couldn't use sound for our Preliminary.

For the final thriller i believe  that the sound was used very effectively. W had a motif for our titles when they appeared and this added a very eerie feel to our opening sequence.  The main problem i had encountered before  with soundtrack pro is that getting the music to correctly sync with the film was very hard but we overcame this for our final film and created a well paced and good tension building sound.

creating our music on soundtrack pro
Planning and Teamwork:

For our Preliminary Film we basically had a single hour to plan it all and then film, so there no shock to learn that i have improved vastly in the planning aspect of making our final thriller opening. 

We planned for about 2 to 3 weeks just to ensure the location was right and also trying to story board our final film to allow us to have a clear picture in our head of what kind of shots we would need to use. The planning also meant that we needed to look again at the mise en scene. Clothing, Props and the Things within the setting had to all be used in a way that enhanced the realsim of our story.


Below is an example of our planning:
video


I think that as a team we all worked very well with each other and there was a real sense of achievement when we has finished our editing of the final thriller. I always thought i could work with other people well and constructively and now i firmly believe in this because my group and i worked extremely hard, met every deadline with time to spare and never let each other down. Organisational skills have also improved because i always kept up to date with the work and never missed deadlines.  





No comments:

Post a Comment